Weekend Lap Swim RestructuringUpdate December 2020: This article was written on August 18, 2020. Our current M-F system allows 2 swimmer/lane with a total of 2 hours of swimming/week. Weekend lap swim can accomondate up to 128 swimmers/weekend.
Stu, Mary, and the Board are working behind the scenes to create a return to weekend lap swim at DAM. This requires following State, County, and City guidelines mandated for lap Swim in our area.
During the week, our current system of two half-hour swims per week (soon to double) has accommodated nearly 450 members in a way that maintains equability and inclusivity: everyone gets the same amount of pool time. Until now, there was not a way to host an optional weekend lap swim while both meeting government-imposed mandates and providing equitable pool time for members. Since we have now expanded the number of hours during the weekdays to accommodate the doubling of coach-guided swim time, weekend opportunities are once again available.
There are challenges to starting a weekend lap swim program.
- Weekend fixed costs for guards and pool rentals
- 6 hours of lap swim per weekend cost DAM $390 for pool rental and two lifeguards and those costs remain the same, even though we can accommodate far fewer swimmers
- in order to provide weekend lap swim while meeting fixed costs for pool rental and lifeguards, DAM will charge $5 per swim on weekend
- we are seeing high demand for weekend swims and members seeking other options with similar fee structures
- DAM Revenue challenges
- our two major revenue producing events are April Pools Day and Lake Berryessa
- those revenue dollars allowed DAM a degree of operational flexibility and value adds to members.
- in a typical year, those two revenue streams give DAM an amount comparable to the annual cost of weekend lap swim.
- at present, there are a sizable number of members on leave status
swim program. In order to provide weekend lap swim while meeting fixed costs for pool rental and lifeguards, DAM will charge $5 per swim on weekend. We are seeing high demand for weekend swims and members seeking other options (at other clubs or pools) with similar fee structures, and we can, and should, offer a similar lap swim opportunity for members who would like to swim more than their assigned two hours per week.
Have more questions? Read the FAQs.