Big Day of Giving, May 4
BIGDoG is coming in less than 2 weeks!
To keep DAM dues one of the best values in the country; purchase equipment and supplies; cover expenses to host the Lake Berryessa and End of Summer Splash events.
- Donate online on May 4. Go to www.bigdayofgiving.org
- New this year! Schedule your donation any time between now and the end of May 4 at www.bigdayofgiving.org
- Come to Civic Center Pool on May 4. We will have laptops set up so you can donate online, or just write a check.
- Complete the pledge form attached to this email and place it with your check in the DAM drop box at Civic any time by May 4.
We will be at Civic (in the Brady Bldg) during each of the regular workouts. In the morning there will be coffee, juice and baked goods. In the evening we will have our Cinco de Mayo BBQ (more on this at the end of this email).
Coaches away at meet and vacation.
Stu and Mary will be in Riverside for four days at the USMS Nationals as coaches and competitors. Afterwards, they're staying another week to visit Stu's relatives and then go to Disneyland with their children and grandchildren. Eleven DAM swimmers are needed to cover all the practices while they're gone. A couple of them will be coaching for the first time, so please be helpful, supportive and patient.
35th Annual DAM Lake Berryessa Swim
Registration is open for the 35th Annual DAM Lake Berryessa Swim on Saturday, June 3rd!
EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION ENDS MAY 5, THEN PRICES GO UP $5. REGISTER TODAY!
The Lake Berryessa Swim is open to everyone, and is one of the longest-running open water swims in America. The overflowing lake levels promise another memorable swim full of fun and personal accomplishments! Join hundreds of swimmers for the 1-mile and/or 2-mile swim at the Steele Canyon Campground, only a 1-hour drive from Davis. And remember - higher water levels make for faster swims.
Fees include swim cap, official Berryessa mug (guaranteed for first 450 registered swimmers), post race refreshments & online race results.
Paper registration forms available at the pool, or downloadable at damfast.org.
Online registration: USMS (adult)
SPECIAL OW NOTE from the coaches - If you're interested in being a part of our DAM event but have never competed in an Open Water race then we're offering you a trail swim at Lake Berryessa in the afternoon of Sunday, May 22. Stu, Mary and a few of our most experienced OW swimmers will introduce and guide up to 20 rookie swimmers through a brief test swim in the lake. For more information, contact Mary at email@example.com.
Berryessa Volunteer Recruitment
The Berryessa Swim is a huge team effort, involving 80-100 DAM members, most of whom work two hour shifts from either 7-9am, 9-11am or 11am-1pm in one of a dozen important areas. Signups for the general volunteer positions beginning at the pool on May 5th during the Big Day of Giving. Remember, if you're planning to race and volunteer, don't purchase a t-shirt in your online registration. You'll be receiving a free event t-shirt for your volunteer efforts.
In addition to the general volunteer jobs, we still need a few more Area Coordinators. A number of very gracious DAM members have already volunteered for many of these jobs so we're asking the rest of you to please consider helping out by becoming an Area Coordinator (AC). ACs are in charge of organizing certain tasks integral to the success of the swim, and delegate volunteers to help with the completion of the tasks. AC's are rewarded with an event t-shirt, an official Berryessa mug, a voucher for a free food truck lunch, and a post-race thank you party.
We are currently seeking AC's to fill the following positions:
- START/FINISH LINE-Insure all competitors cross timing mats and beginning and end of race. Post results. Assist swimmers out of the water, through the chutes, and removing their timing chips.
- FIRST AID-Monitor the First Aid booth on the day of race. First Aid skills are desirable. Nurses or doctors are encouraged to volunteer.
- MERCHANDISE-Organize merchandise prior to race day. Distribute shirts and mugs to swimmers on race day. Sell excess mugs and shirts on race day.
- REGISTRATION/CHECK-IN-Correspond with chip timing company. Become familiar with registration software. Prepare check-in sheets.
- SETUP-Assemble everything needed for setup. Supervise loading of truck, spend the night and supervise setup on Saturday morning.
- SIGNAGE-Inventory existing banners, create and order new signs. Create map layout for race and registration venues.
- SMALL SUPPLIES-Responsible for purchasing an array of small supplies needed by other Area Coordinators
If you are able to fill one of these positions, please email Stu Kahn, Race Director, Berryessa@damfast.org.
Cinco de Mayo BBQ, May 4, 6:15-8:00pm
YOU'RE INVITED! We will have a small BBQ to celebrate BIG DoG and Cinco de Mayo (a day early). There will be hot dogs, chips, salsa, margaritas (WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!) Feel free to bring your own food to grill. Any questions? Don't hesitate to ask firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.